Watching the Clouds Go By invites students to investigate the rich textures of traditional and contemporary Chinese culture while sharpening their reading skills. The fifth in the five-volume Readings in Chinese Culture series, this collection of ten original essays is ideal for advanced students in their second semester of third-year Chinese, or at the “Advanced Mid” level, as designated by ACTFL proficiency guidelines.
A suitable supplement for any advanced Mandarin Chinese textbook, or as reading material for independent learners, Watching the Clouds Go By reinforces students’ grasp of Chinese vocabulary and grammar while also strengthening their understanding of Chinese culture. This cultural focus makes the Readings in Chinese Culture series an ideal tool in preparing for the AP* and other standardized exams. Each 500-700 character essay is printed in simplified and traditional characters on facing pages. A vocabulary list, related words and expressions, and an optional exercise section accompany each lesson. Pinyin versions of each essay can be found in the appendix.
For students who prefer to read pinyin along with Chinese characters, an appendix including each essay with pinyin is included.
*AP is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.
1. 坐看云起时 / 坐看雲起時 Watching the Clouds Go By
2. 婚姻的历程 / 婚姻的歷程 The Evolution of Marriage
3. 中国古代神话 / 中國古代神話 Ancient Chinese Mythology
4. 现代神话与科学幻想 / 現代神話與科學幻想 Modern Myths and Science Fiction
5. 国粹中的书法和中医 / 國粹中的書法和中醫 Calligraphy and Traditional Chinese Medicine:The Essence of China
6. 京剧是中国的国剧 / 京劇是中國的國劇 Beijing Opera: A National Opera
7. 经济发展与环境污染 / 經濟發展與環境污染 Economic Development and Environmental Pollution
8. 电与环境 / 電與環境 Power and the Environment
9. 武器与战争 / 武器與戰爭 Weapons and Warfare
10. 汉字与中华民族 / 漢字與中華民族 Chinese Characters and the People of China
附录一 拼音课文 / 拼音課文 Appendix 1 Texts with Pinyin
附录二 练习答案 / 練習答案 Appendix 2 Answer Key
生词索引 / 生詞索引 Vocabulary Index (Alphabetical by Pinyin)